Sunday, September 16, 2012

I can recognize short vowels sounds.

"I can recognize short vowel sounds" is a learning target we have been working on since the beginning of school.  This coming week we will be working on our final short vowel sound "u".  Our ten spelling words will have the short "u" sound in all of them and we will also have 2 challenge words this week as well.  Look for those lists to come home on Monday.
In math we will continue to work on money, specifically identifying coins and their value. The following are the math learnings targets we will have mastered at the end of this week!
I can identify the value of a penny.
I can count a group of pennies up to one dollar.
I can identify the value of a nickel.
I can count a group of nickels by fives to one dollar.
I can identify the value of a dime.
I can count a group of dimes by 10s up to one dollar.
I can identify the value of quarter.
I can count a group of quarters up to one dollar.

Notice that we are just counting coins up to one dollar and that we are not really mixing coins and counting them.  We have been doing some practice mixing but that is not a skill students will be tested over.

In Theme, which is social studies or science, we have only worked on social students content since the beginning of the year.  This week we will start with some science content, specially the needs of plants and animals.

Looking Ahead:
The following week on Sept. 28 is Kentucky Kids Day!  As a school we will be studying our state.  Our hallway, Kindergarten and 1st grade, will specifically be looking at the Bluegrass Region!


No comments:

Post a Comment